When a new manager arrives at a club, they will often make bold statements to show the world that they mean business and that they will do things their way. This fires up the fans as well as the players because they want to see a manager who shows passion. However, it can also be quite a scary situation for the players, as sometimes the manager will come in and claim they will sell all of the flops. Unfortunately for Manchester United, they have quite a few.
This has led to Louis van Gaal stating that he will ‘axe’ 10 first team players, according to the Daily Star. It is an incredible statement to make considering that much of the depth will go if he does. The Red Devils, though, have big plans this summer and you know that this mass exodus will raise money and free up some spaces in the squad. For me, 10 is a bit extreme, so here are my FIVE players that United should sell:
1. Anderson – The Brazilian never lived up to the hype. He was billed as a world class midfielder that could go some way to replacing Paul Scholes. However, injuries and a loss of form led to the 26-year-old being sent on loan to Fiorentina last season. He didn’t prove his worth at the Italian club and that is why he should be sold.
2. Tom Cleverley – The Englishman was also expected to do great things for both club and country, but he never really demonstrated that he was different from the rest. His performances were tedious and pedestrian. He always showed great energy and a willingness to do something for his team, but he rarely delivered.
3. Nani – He is one of two players on this list that have shown they can be very dangerous players when in form. However, Nani has not been in form for a few seasons now. When he first arrived he was taking on players for fun, his final ball was good and he showed he could do it at any point in the game. His form has dipped massively and it is now time for the Red Devils to move on.
4. Bebe – This is another winger on the list, but he is a strange case. Bebe was always accused of blagging his way into a transfer to United, or at least his agent was. When Sir Alex Ferguson saw him in training for the first time, it was rumoured that he believed he had been conned. The Portuguese winger has been out on loan ever since he arrived at the club but, for some reason, hasn’t been sold yet. Now is the time.
5. Ashley Young – He is the second player on this list who has shown glimpses that he is a talented player. Young is always looking to use his pace to create chances. However, he didn’t quite recapture the form he showed at Aston Villa, which is what earned him a move in the first place. Louis van Gaal knows this and that is why the former Villain could be on his way out of the club.