Football Friends Online – When 90 Mins Is Not EnoughCeltic cruise into the Scottish Cup final - Football Friends Online - When 90 Mins Is Not Enough Celtic cruise into the Scottish Cup final - Football Friends Online - When 90 Mins Is Not Enough

Celtic cruise into the Scottish Cup final

Celtic defeated ten-man Aberdeen 4 – 0 to progress to the Scottish Cup final in Hampden. Celtic set out with their usual attacking style with their team selection, Kris Commons on the left and the prolific partnership of Stokes/Hooper up front. Aberdeen also set out to attack with a 4-4-2 formation with Maguire the threat up front.

Aberdeen were keen to put right the four defeats already suffered this season against Celtic which included 17 goals conceded and only 1 scored.

They started well and avoided conceding an early goal which had been their previous problem but their habit of being reduced to 10 men was again carried out. Andrew Considine fouled Gary Hooper in the penalty box and denied a goal scoring opportunity, referee Willie Collum had no option but to dismiss Considine and point to the spot. Anthony Stokes stepped up after missing a couple of chances earlier to take the penalty, his effort was anticipated well by Langfield in the Dons net and he saved to keep his team in the game.

 Aberdeen held on to half time with the scores level but it was expected when Neil Lennon gave his team talk that Celtic would be a different side after the break. Celtics first half performance was below their usual standards and their passing needed to be quicker.

Second half started brightly for Celtic and they were faster and more fluent than the first. It took only 3 minutes for them to find the net, Milsom fouled Beram Kayal 35 yards from goal. Charlie Mulgrew swung in the free kick which evaded everyone including the keeper and Celtic were in pole position. Joe Ledley grabbed Celtic’s second eight minutes later to really seal the victory. Another penalty for Celtic this time Commons the taker made it 3 – 0 and Shaun Maloney who is back after a long injury absence tapped in a simple fourth.

In the end Aberdeen never looked like winning and we will never know what would have happened if Andrew Considine hadn’t been dismissed. Celtic will return to Hampden on May 21 to take on Stuart McCall’s Motherwell who had a comfortable 3 – 0 victory over St Johnstone on Saturday.

 By Ryan Muldoon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *