Football Friends Online – When 90 Mins Is Not EnoughA silly post about Gervinho - Football Friends Online - When 90 Mins Is Not Enough A silly post about Gervinho - Football Friends Online - When 90 Mins Is Not Enough

A silly post about Gervinho

Arsenal’s decent start to the season has coincided with one Ivorian winger’s move to a central striker.

Comparisons have been drawn, I believe very wrongly, with Gervinho and Thierry Henry. Granted, they’re both wingers, but I think that’s where the comparisons stop! I don’t think Arsenal fans enjoy the prospect of the game when they see Gervinho’s name lining up front on the teamsheet, but somehow it works. It’s a mystery, but it does work.

The Winger scored 2 goals against Southampton in his first game up top, before being absolute (I don’t want to use the word) against Man City, but then, when fans must have been praying that this sick, sick joke was over, he starts up front against Chelsea and, I don’t know how, he scores.

Now, I do actually think he’s a very useful player. His movement is very good, and he must be a nightmare for defenders in one on ones.

There will always be that element of doubt on whether he will actually be good or not on the day or not though, so I’ve compiled 10 silly reasons why Gervinho annoys me:

1 – I don’t think he knows what he’s ever going to do when the ball comes to him

2 – Even worse, I don’t think his team mates have any idea what he’s going to do, which sometimes affects their movement off the ball

3 – He has stupid hair

4 – He doesn’t shoot when in and around the box

5 – He has a big forehead

6 – Last year in fantasy league, he was listed as a striker, but never played up front. This year, I bet they thought they got rid of this problem, listing him as a midfielder. Where’s he playing this season? Damn.

7 – He came from Lille. Hazard came from Lille – BE LIKE HIM.

8 – He missed a penalty at the African Cup of Nations. What a bottler.

9 – His name sounds too Brazilian for my liking

10 – He has a big forehead

For more Football Blogs and opinion from football fans around the world

13 Comments

1. Adrodri

October 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

it is indeed a silly post about Gervinho. big fore head? if you do not have any thing to write about, just shut up.

2. lo;

October 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. Pretty mature post. I could agree with your first 2 reasons.

3. mike

October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I think your out of order for say, Gervinho can be frustrating most of the time but has got us goals up front. I bet you were jumping out of your seat when he scored against chelsea and olympiakos i don't think we would have won the game if he hadn't scored (olympiakos). Yes he missed controlled against man city, yes his shots are wild, yes his decision making is that great but at least he's done something more most players in the team. I think it was unnecessary for you to say he has a big fore head if you do not have anything to write about, just shut up.

4. 2gunnsUp

October 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Clap for yourself for a fine display of crass writing. Get a real job you suck at this one.

5. Michael Staley

October 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Agree with preceding comments. An idiotic article – absolute waste of cyberspace.

6. SureGun

October 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Eden Hazard says Gervinho says is the best player he has ever played with.He outscored and out-assisted Hazard in Lille. Wenger and Steve Bould rate him! Enough said already! He can dribble, he can assist and he scores goals! He already has 4 goals in 10 competitive games. No bad for a winger who is learning his trade upfront! Stop writing rubbish

7. mohamed ali

October 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

wanker

8. GoonerEris

October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I think I quite like the sarcasm in the write-up, from the caption into the article itself. It does capture Gervinho's ability to both excite and frustrate, all in one game.

Some of the posters here need to take a chill pill as the writer obviously, merely finds Gervinho an enigma of sorts and has suggested it is okay, if he keeps scoring and surprising us all (and the opponents, as well).

9. Joe

October 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You prick just shut up and support our players it's people like you that knock any confidence out of them!

10. siyan

October 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

The main reason for this article is simple – the writer is JOBLESS

11. ryan

October 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

suregun i don't see much point in quoting the goal scoring record he has this season like it means a huge deal. all players have good and bad spells of form, he has started this season on good form, but to quote this season's statistics is hugely misleading. he has 5 goals this season which is great, but he only scored 4 in all of last season so bigging up his stats beyonds anything other than short term form is really pointless.

as for what hazard said, hazard played for decent team from a decent league, nothing more or less and on the international stage doesn't have a team of world names so it doesn't mean gervinho is the dog's bollocks if hazard rates him. as for bould and wenger, he was quite obviously signed with the hope of him being a bargain player who'd come in and develop into a world beater as wenger has done with many other players. in reality since joining he's been pretty much consistently eratic with his touch, crossing, finishing and decision making and hasn't done anything to suggest he will ever become a world beater. THAT SAID his goal scoring record SO FAR this season is good so well done to him and hopefully it will continue and maybe he can become a better and more consistent player.

as for steve bould, do you expect the new assistent manager to say 'nah he's a headless chicken half the time, but at least he's scored a few goals'? of course he wouldn't he'd get fired if he said it how it is. and as for wenger, you act like wenger has never rated a player who isn't that great before- francis jeffers, denilson, chamakh- wenger has produced many incredible players but also plenty of average ones. so far he is another average one

12. Tom DiMaio

October 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM

This article was actually a very good read, yes it isn't a scientific analysis but i don't think it was supposed to be (hence the title). As an Arsenal fan I feel very similar towards Gervinho, useful player but i'm not convinced. I think the article was a bit of fun and comments like some of the ones above are ridiculous.

13. MM

October 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM

It is true that G can excite and frustate, but your article is derogatory in nature! You could have found better ways to express your views but chose this rather regretful approach! This does very little positive for club and player…